Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Tribute To My Dad

Tomorrow is the Sunday set aside to honor our Fathers.There was a time in my life when Fathers Day did not hold much meaning for me. As a young adult I was able to see my Dad as he really was, an alcoholic who was able to hold a job and not much else. He was abusive to my Mom and became loud and mean when he drank. He never mistreated me physically, but his behavior took a toll on my emotions and left me unable to make good choices for my life. Twenty three years ago my Dad met a man named Jesus. He surrendered his life to Him and today I am very proud of my Dad. He is a soft spoken mild mannered man who loves the Lord with all his heart. The past couple of years have brought big changes in his life, due to a fall he was no longer able to live alone, this was very hard for him to except. He now lives in an assisted living home with thirteen other men and women who also have had to give up their homes. It is hard for me to imagine how difficult this must be for him, one day I too will most likely face a similar situation. I can not be with my Dad this year, miles may separate us, but in Spirit we are together. I am so very thankful that my Dad allowed God to get involved in his life. He is a changed man from the inside out. God has taken away the hurt and pain from my childhood. No I have not forgotten, but I choose not to remember. I am grateful for these last twenty plus years to make good memories with my Dad. Without Jesus in both our lives this would not have been possible. You may have memories of your past that haunt you and keep you from loving your Dad as you would like, Jesus is able to take your broken heart and mend it. You have only to ask. Till next time, "Keep your Eyes On Jesus !"

No comments: