Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Power of Prayer in Your Life

PRAYER
A LIFESTYLE OR A RELIGIOUS EXERCISE ??
Prayer should be be based on your intimate relationship/fellowship with God The Father, through Jesus The Son often answered by The Holy Spirit. Jesus often went out alone away from the Disciples and the crowd of people to spend time with the Father in prayer.
He withdrew to the wilderness to pray (Luke5v16), He went out to the mountain to pray, (Luke 6v12),Jesus was a man of prayer and prayed often (Luke 22 v39 &40). How much more important is it for you and I to spend time alone with Father in prayer ?
Websters says of Prayer: an earnest request, entreaty, supplication -- a request made to God -- a spiritual communion with God. Prayer was established by God the Creator for those He created, you and me. God wants prayer to be a lifestyle, not a religious exercise.
in Elementary School, gives you a clue to how old I am. I remember in church the Pastor or Teacher reading prayers from a book. When I became a born again believer I was shocked and confused to hear people actually praying out loud, talking to God in everyday language, just as they would speak to me. This was a whole new world to me! I could really speak to God like I talked to my friends and family. Best of all, IF I would stop and listen to that still small voice inside of me, I would often hear from Him, He really cared about me and my problems.
I never knew that God was ready and willing to come to my aid when I called on Him and asked in line with His Word. (James 5v16 b). Our prayers must line up with the Bible !I began to understand that prayer was my way to communicate with God, just me and Him. Awesome !! Over time I came to KNOW that this life of prayer gave me a relationship with Jesus, as I learned that Jesus was my Advocate, (Lawyer), I prayed in His name, the Father heard me. He cared, I asked, I believed, I received. Sounds so simple, this is where Faith comes in, (Heb 11v1) having faith for what you can not see. This is a growing and learning process. I believe now that the biggest hindrance Christians have in their prayer life is, we allow the daily events of life to interfere with our prayer life, this in turn clouds that relationship that we truly need to sustain our daily walk. Paul instructed the church to pray without ceasing, (I Thess.5v16), when I first heard this I thought, "There is no way", I now understand Paul was speaking of the condition of my soul and mind, to be in an attitude of prayer at all times. When I allow the Spirit to be in control of my soul and mind, the problems, trials, and tests that life brings my way, I will be ready to pray and seek His will for whatever comes my way. I am convinced you show me a Christian who does not have a strong, steady prayer life, I will show you a weak person who when life's storms come their way tend to fall apart, they do not have that close relationship with God, they can not hear from Him, they panic and often make foolish choices/decisions that effect
not only their life, but trickle down to others. I am convinced that prayer is a vital part of knowing and doing the will of God. I believe a true follower of Jesus will make time for a prayer life. I urge you today if you are not a person of prayer, START !
What better time to begin than during the season of Lent ? Is this power of prayer a part of who/what you are ? A relationship with God is possible for every person who believes, but it takes discipline and effort. A great prayer life is achieved when practiced daily, it is in these intimate times with the Father that a lasting relationship is built and maintained. A relationship that will sustain you in the storms of life !
Until next time, "KEEP YOUR EYES ON JESUS !!"

No comments: